Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Missing Stevie

Last weekend I traveled to Los Banos to help celebrate the life of my dear friend Steven Menefee.

At Steven's celebration, I really wished that I could be brave enough to stand up and talk about him - I wanted to celebrate his life, but my body was still full of sadness. Had I been braver, I would have told his family and his wife that Steven has been an inspiration to me for many years and will continue to be one for as long as I live. As a mother, when I think of the type of men my sons will hopefully become; I think of Steven Menefee. We all want our children to be happy. We want our children to be thoughtful and loving, smart and interesting, compassionate and understanding. We want our children to be good people, just like Stevie.

I want to raise good people, so I will do my best to emulate his parents, whom I have so much respect and admiration. As a child I remember Colleen as always patient and loving. I remember that she didn't get mad when Stevie colored on the walls; instead she signed his name and dated his “wall mural.” I remember Jerry letting us drive the Blazer when we were maybe 10 and giggling as we sped down the dirt roads. Most of all, I remember their home was always full of love and fun. It was a happy place. I am going to try my best to give my boys a happy place to grow, full of love and giggling. And maybe I will have sons as wonderful and loving, as smart and interesting, as compassionate and understanding as Stevie Menefee. Nothing would make me more proud.

I miss you Stevie. You continue to inspire love.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Suzanne, that is so sweet. I miss him so much, and agree with everything you said. I sure hope that I can teach Henry to be like his Uncle Stevie. I love you Totsie!