Sunday, November 13, 2011

New School

Last week Aidan started attending his new school, Montessori Center School. Aidan really is enjoying his new environment and I am hopeful that we have made a good decision. Mike and I feel it is a positive change. Here is a picture of Aidan with some of his new classmates. As you can see, he will be one of the older children in the class. Montessori schools have mixed age classrooms, which Mike and I were unsure of - but Aidan seems very comfortable and has already made some friends.
The flip side of this change is that we are leaving our neighborhood school and many families that we really love. We are also leaving a teacher that we greatly admire. Our decision was prompted by what I was seeing working in the classroom and the affect is was having on Aidan. Unfortunately, all public schools are dealing with tighter and tighter budgets and this has caused classrooms to get bigger and bigger. When we started looking at other options, and found Montessori - Mike and I knew the method would be a good fit for Aidan. When we took Aidan for his assessment day, he told me "I don't want to leave, I want to make this my school." So we did.
I'll keep you posted as we all adjust.

No comments: