Thursday, August 21, 2008

Blake William Cohen

He's here! Blake William Cohen was born Tuesday, August 19, 2008 at 2:45 am.
9 pounds 15.4 ounces, 21 inches long. His nickname at the hospital nursery was "the toddler."





Birth Story
After drinking raspberry leaf tea all day on Monday, my water started to leak that evening. Mike and Aidan were exploring Schofield Park, looking for "waterfalls." I called Mike and told him the news, then called my doctor's office and waited for a call back. After Mike got home and I spoke to my doctor, we decided to go in to the hospital right away since I wasn't feeling the baby move. My stomach felt like one giant contraction by this time.
We got to Cottage Hospital at 7:30, breathed a sign of relief as the baby's heart beat popped right up and then walked the halls as my contractions built and got regular. I was only dilated to 2 when I checked in, but my body didn't need any help progressing. I quickly dilated to a 3 plus and then opted for an epidural (11pm). Mike was getting ready for a long labor, but by 1am-ish I called the nurse and told her that I thought I wanted to push. She said she was planning to check me in an hour or so, but after we spoke she checked me and said, " oh ... you weren't kidding. His head is right there and you are fully dilated and effaced." The nurses got the room ready and we did a few pushes while we waiting for my doctor to arrive. I think Mike thought the baby was going to come before the doctor arrived and he probably could have. After one push he told the nurse she should put her gloves on.
Once my doctor arrived, I pushed Blake right out. It was so relaxed and easy. After his head came out and my doctor cleared his throat, she had me reach down and catch Blake as he came out of me. I was able to grab his little body and pull him on to my chest. Then Mike cut Blake's cord. Everyone was impressed with Blake's chunky little body; he was a big guy.
Aidan came to visit the next day and hugged his "baby brother." We are all adjusting, but doing well. Please come by and meet the newest member of our clan. We feel very blessed and fortunate to have two beautiful sons to keep us up all night. Lots of love, Mike and Suzanne

No comments: